Best films for singles on Valentine’s Day

There is so much pressure that comes with the fear of being alone on Valentine’s Day and finding that special someone to celebrate this romantic day with, that sometimes we forget about the perks of being single. Why not appreciate you living your best life by popping on a cheerful, upbeat film that celebrates everything about being single? Whether you’ll be spending this day with your family, friends, or on your own, this list of inspirational, feel-good flicks should help uplift you this Valentine’s Day. 

It is undeniable that one of the best films that celebrates singledom is the rom-com, ‘How to be Single’ (2016). Deciding to take a break from her long-term relationship, Alice moves to New York to work as a paralegal where she meets co-worker Robin who helps her navigate single-life in the city, including the do’s and don’ts of partying, dating and one-night stands and hook-ups. From the creators of ‘He’s just not that into you’ (2009), starring Dakota Johnson (Fifty Shades of Grey) and Rebel Wilson (Pitch Perfect), this enchanting film depicts the modern dating scene, and the complicated nature of romantic relationships. 

A second must-watch is ‘Legally Blonde’ (2001) starring Reese Witherspoon. After sorority queen Elle Woods is left-heartbroken when her boyfriend leaves her for not being serious or intelligent enough, she tries to prove herself and win him back by enrolling at Harvard Law School, only to discover her true passion as she becomes a top law student. Although Elle finds new love, she is a feminist icon who challenges stereotypes, has an admirably strong sense-of-self and emphasises the importance of sisterhood.

Similar charming comedies with this message also include ‘Booksmart’ (2019) and ‘The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants’ (2005). Meanwhile, other rom-coms that follow characters through blindsiding breakups to self-revelation and contribute to the ‘girls’ night-out’ genre include the heart-warming comedy ‘The Other Woman’ (2014) starring Cameron Diaz, and Netflix’s ‘Someone Great’ (2019). 

Alternatively, for those of you who are aspiring adventurists and soul-seekers, you may also want to check out Witherspoon in the thought-provoking, adventure-drama ‘Wild’ (2014) as a recently divorced woman who decides to hike the Pacific Crest Trail. Or if you’re a fan of Julia Roberts, watch ‘Eat Pray Love’ (2010), as recent divorcee Elizabeth travels around the world seeking self-discovery. A final noteworthy mention includes ‘500 Days of Summer’ (2009), a rom-com drama starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel, where a young man reminisces on his failed relationship with Summer, the girl he thought was ‘the one’. Lastly, we cannot forget ‘The Hangover’ (2009) and its two sequels, an epic and hilarious comedy with Bradley Cooper, following the wild adventures of a Las Vegas bachelor party.

09/02/2021

Lily Boag

March 2021
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031