Norwich’s reputation as a fine city precedes it with its blossoming businesses, hidden gems, and glimmering possibilities. 

The Wildman, located as you descend into the Lanes, is a pub notable for its armchairs, cosy interior and carpeted foyer. With an array of beer and lager on tap, the pub is a pleasant environment to nurse a drink with friends or loved ones. The Wildman has also hosted UEA’s Live Music Society for evenings of music appreciation. A prime date spot, due to its secluded quietude and beauty, and if the weather permits, Norwich’s Plantation Garden is a flourishing utopia hidden behind Norwich Cathedral. The £2 entry fee funds the continuous conservation of the garden, and it is a lovely place to wander the old crumbling paths and admire the flowers with someone dear.

Or, on a rainy day, Alchemista Coffee is a café tucked away in St Gregory’s Back Alley that serves rich, heartening drinks. Their interior nurtures a glorious comfy-steampunk aesthetic, and their window seats allow you to people-watch over a drink and a slice of cake. They provide dairy-free milk alternatives and even serve cocktails. For a vegan alternative, not only does deli-style coffee shop Tofurei sell an inviting array of vegan cakes and donuts, they also provide vegan-substitutes for savoury goods like sausage rolls and pasties, with the added bonus that they use Norfolk-grown soya beans in many of their products. 

The Bowling House is a bowling alley perfectly suited for an entertaining game. Located a short walk from the Cathedral, it is a warmly-lit establishment with friendly and attentive staff.  Monday nights are student nights, where you can play three games for a discounted £10; they also have a small bar, for any necessary drinks.

For nights in the city; Loft is one of the more intimate clubbing venues, but it bursts with liveliness. Established as Norwich’s first gay nightclub, but now immensely popular among UEA students, it is an LGBTQ+ friendly venue, and with the added bonus of decorative aeroplane seats and faux windows with CGI views, Loft provides an additional degree of excitement for any night. 

UEA’s very own LCR has hosted a large number of musicians previously, such as English rockers The Hunna in April. A bombastic, rumbling bass affair, the LCR proves to function just as well as a concert venue as it does a club, sizeable enough but still allowing intimacy to any musician who performs.