If you don’t know already…where have you been!? You really need to start checking Twitter more often. Greg James was recently in town to announce that the first major festival of the year would be in our very own university city: Radio 1’s Big Weekend is coming to Norwich!
2014 was a year of big, break through acts, and 2015 seems to be welcoming some old favourites who have been hiding away for a little while. The festivals this year look like they could be the biggest and best for a very long time.

Of course, it will be some time before we know for certain who will be travelling to Norwich to experience Unio coffee, and the unique entertainment experience that is the Puppet Man. However, we can all dream…

The Killers
There’s no doubting the fact that Taylor Swift has earned her position as the Big Weekend’s Sunday headliner. She was one of the biggest selling artists of last year. All you have to do is walk into the LCR on a Tuesday night to experience the 1989 with its Blank Spaces and Shaking Off.
However, any headline slot is big news and will undoubtedly draw the biggest crowd of the day on both Earlham Park dates; the set should be full of sing-along hits and tracks that just make the crowd go crazy. The Killers fit that bill perfectly. With massive hits such as Mr Brightside and Human safely in the back pocket of enthusiastic frontman Brandon Flowers, I think that The Killers would provide the perfect Saturday night party at this year’s Big Weekend, and leave everybody struggling to whisper two words the following morning.

Rudimental
Anybody who has been lucky enough to see Rudimental live knows that a summer party just isn’t a party until Rudimental have arrived with an explosion of trumpets and trombones. The perfect afternoon festival players, Rudimental are brilliant at getting the crowd dancing with their never ending top ten hits, leaving revellers ready and raring to go for the superstars who will undoubtedly follow.

Catfish and the Bottlemen
One of the biggest breakout acts of 2014, Catfish and the Bottlemen seemed to have perfectly filled the guitar shaped gap that has been left since The Vaccines disappeared off the scene; and what a job they have done at filling it. The Bottlemen performed at more than 30 festivals last year and were the first band since the Arctic Monkeys to completely sell out a tour before the release of their first album. This band seem to have a knack for writing guitar riffs that just get stuck in your head, and would be sure to provide a bit of a rockier contrast to Miss Swift.

George Ezra
Another one of last year’s big hitters, George Ezra found his big break when the 2014 festival circuit coincided with his massive number one hit, Budapest, and his album Wanted on Voyage consequently became one of the best sellers of the year. With his collection of acoustic and blues songs filled with positive vibes and catchy choruses it’s easy to see why Ezra proved to be such a big hit at a variety of festivals in 2014. This man and his guitar feel right at home on a festival stage performing to thousands of people drinking expensive beer, and Earlham Park would suit him perfectly. Budapest has never been such an attractive holiday destination!

Florence and the Machine
After what feels like forever on hiatus, it seems that 2015 will finally herald the return of Miss Florence Welch and her Machine.
Having already announced the recording and release of her third album, alongside several European and American festival appearances, it seems inevitable that the red-haired songstress will be making several appearances at the 2015 festivals, and I for one am ready to welcome her back with open arms. Her previous albums provided us with several feel good summer anthems that would perfectly welcome the summer of 2015. Come on, who wouldn’t want to sit on the grass and listen to You’ve Got the Love whilst pretending to be a hippy?

Years and Years
The BBC’s ‘Sound’ Poll is regarded as one of the most prestigious prizes in new music, and for good reason. They seem to be pretty good at predicting who is going to be massive in the year to come, having previously predicted the successes of Adele, Jessie J and Ellie Goulding to name just a few.
Years and Years are the proud owners of the 2015 accolade, which is a sign of big things to come. By the time that the Big Weekend comes around this band will be undoubtedly on the road to success having already started with the hit Desire; the electro – pop release that you aren’t quite sure of the words to but you keep singing anyway. This will be a big summer for Years and Years, and we would love to start it with them here in Norwich.