It’s that time of year again; the sun’s out, the Pimm’s is flowing and holiday plans are well underway but it seems one nagging doubt won’t leave the innocent sunshine reveller alone – ARE YOU BIKINI READY? – screams from every magazine page, meaning that impromptu BBQ leaves you with a strangely guilty aftertaste. Whatever your body worries, the important thing is having fun with your summer fashion, and this years trends promise just that with a range of cuts, textures and colours to suit any taste; and the best news is, they all look better with a burger in hand.

bikini

The retro look paves the way for classic chic this summer, whether you’re going fifties in a pinup style high-waisted bikini or eighties in a timeless red one piece, retro is definitely the coolest trend to nail. High-waisted bikinis are perfect for those wanting to cover up a bit more and are incredibly flattering for most figures; look out for floral patters to keep the style fresh or cut out details for a modern twist.

Alternatively, think blonde bombshell and work it Monroe style with a timeless one piece in simple monochrome colours; accessorise with bouncy beach curls for the perfect girl next door style.

If you’re on the hunt for something more fearless, embrace your inner Baywatch star with stand out costumes like Rihanna’s backless one piece for River Island, guaranteed to make you centre of attention.

Attention to detail gains major fashion points this summer as boho fringing, appliqué and ruffles make a comeback. Great for those conscious of creating curves these detailed pieces can be mixed and matched with plain bottoms to create a variety of beach looks, making them the perfect investment for those with big plans for the holidays.

Whether rocking them under cover ups for festivals, on a sunny beach in Europe or by your local poolside, the mix and match potential of this style means value for money and a look that won’t get boring. Try ASOS for a huge selection of mix and match swimwear in every colour and shape imaginable and if you’re a bit unsure, go for a simple black bottom and inject colour into your tops for a failsafe look.

Cut outs have been huge in 2013 and the trend looks set to stay hot over summer as it moves into the realm of beachwear. Be it a small side cut out or your whole midriff exposed, this trend isn’t for the faint hearted as it puts maximum flesh on show. Stick to flat shoes and minimal accessories to avoid this statement look seeming too ‘done’ and remember to slap on the sun cream if you don’t want to be left with a patchwork tan!