Gaming, Gaming and Technology, OldVenue

The Bloodbath of B-R5RB

The Battle of Hastings, The First World War, The Second World War, Korea, Vietnam: these are all Wars that have shaped our world and the people in it.

35572_eve_online_eve_online_caldari_titan_fleet

On Monday 27th January in the world of EVE Online, a war raged that would change the online universe, as almost $300,000 worth of ships and resources were lost in a vicious conflict that lasted 14 hours, setting the record for the longest Battle in any game.

EVE Online is a Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG) which simulates a futuristic universe where one can spend their time exploring the enormous map, consisting of hundreds of planets and systems.

The game is so in-depth, realistic and complicated it has been likened to playing a spreadsheet, as opposed to the non-stop action and constant stimulation of the casual games filling the market now.

This game is for those who appreciate the investment of a world and a life in it. Understanding this helps illustrate the loss that has been felt from this catastrophic battle that will be remembered in the game’s history for years to come, The Bloodbath of B-R5RB.

EVE Online is known for their huge player vs player Battles, and especially so for the fact that there is no respawn. Once your ship is lost, that is it.

More than 75 Titan ships were destroyed. They are the largest in the game each costing around 1 Billion ISK (in game currency) equating to $3,000 each. It is not only the money cost but the time, as each Titan takes thousands of hours of resource collection and assembly to create, and all of that was destroyed. But why all this fighting in the first place? A missed payment.

The Alliance system is strong and terrifying in the EVE universe and it was the largest of alliances that could participate in the blood bath.

The N3 Coalition (N3C) and Pandemic Legion on one side forgot one single payment for a station in which they held their fleets and accessed their resources. This part of the universe is in high demand and the Clusterfuck Coalition (CFC), along with the Russian Coalition, took the opportunity to seize it.

With uncanny similarities to the Entente and Alliance of the First World War, these commanding groups clashed with all their might for command of this small section of the gigantic world. The Titan Ships loomed closer as the defence stood their ground.

A moment of peace, as the anticipation, excitement and worry escalated. And then it began, both brutal and beautiful, as these monstrosities fought!

The damage done to this online world was catastrophic; a true world war with serious alliances and dangerous participants. The tragic truth is that it lies unnoticed by the rest of the world.

11/02/2014

kristanemery