Books

#BookTok: Worth the Hype?

If you’re not familiar with the concept of BookTok, it’s a communal space for the readers of TikTok where books are recommended and discussed between users. It has benefited people all over the world.

I’m not ashamed to admit that when looking for a book recommendation, BookTok is the first place I check, and it’s helped me discover some spectacular reads which I’ve devoured throughout the summer. However, I can’t help but ask, would I have found some of these books if I hadn’t stumbled across this phenomenon? BookTok has been around for a while, but during the pandemic, many book-lovers turned to this community in order to cure their boredom. BookTok has almost 23 billion views on the hashtag alone, and it has skyrocketed book sales for smaller authors as well as creating a digital space for readers to connect.

I love to read, but I don’t read as much as I would like to. I tend to drift in and out of the habit of reading before bed, but over the summer of 2021 I fell even more in love with reading, which I didn’t think was possible. Many of the books I’ve read recently were endorsed on BookTok, and I feel that without this platform I wouldn’t have encountered authors like Taylor Jenkins Reid and her book The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo (my new favourite) or The Midnight Library by Matt Haig, amongst many more names that I hadn’t heard of before. 

Not only has BookTok given me a new zone to further my book collection, but it’s encouraged me to only purchase second-hand books, or download books on my kindle to slightly help the environment. It’s a space dedicated to ethical reading, or at least in my experience of it. In my somewhat biased opinion, BookTok is definitely worth all the hype!

16/11/2021

Sienna Norris

November 2021
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930