Booze and boos

Fancy a pint in the spookiest taverns in town? We’ve got the low-down.

Adam and Eve

Built in 1249, this is the oldest pub in Norwich. The most commonly sighted ghost, affectionately referred to as ‘Sam’ by the regulars, is thought to be the ghost of Lord Sheffield, who died in the building after being stabbed in Kett’s rebellion in 1549.

People have reported hearing footsteps, seeing ashtrays and glasses move by themselves, feeling hot and cold spots, and feeling fingers running through their hair or tapping them on the shoulder.The Coachmakers Arms

This pub, built in the 17th Century, sits on the site of an asylum, and boasts multiple apparitions; the most commonly seen is a highwayman who stands at the end of the bar, and is often mistaken for a customer – until he vanishes into thin air.

Also seen is a woman in a long black dress who walks down the pub stairs and then disappears, and bottles, glasses, and pictures on the wall have been seen falling without being touched.

The Lamb Inn

A little more upscale, The Lamb Inn has recently been renovated. It is supposedly haunted by John Aggas, a former landlord murdered in 1757 when he intervened in a fight between his sister and her husband, Timothy Hardy.

Hardy stabbed Aggas in the stomach, and he died the next morning. However, his ghost is said to be friendly; he sits in one of the chairs by the window, and children staying at the inn have said they’ve been woken by him reading them bedtime stories.

Lollards Pit

Lollards Pit was built sometime between 1620 and 1670, on the site of old holding cells for people accused of being heretics and witches who were burnt at the stake in the 15th and 16th centuries.

The prisoners would be held there overnight, and then made to cross the river towards the pyre in the morning.

After they were executed, their bodies were tossed in the chalk pit that can still be found in the garden behind the pub. It is said that you can still hear the screams of the prisoners at night, and they can be seen crossing the bridge in the early hours.

The Murderers Pub

The Murderers Pub, built in 1696 and originally named The Gardener’s Arms, owes its current name to the murder of landlady Maria Wilby’s daughter, Mildred, in June 1895.

Mildred, affectionately known as Millie, was killed by her estranged husband, ex-cavalryman Frank Miles, following an argument the previous evening when Millie, sick of Frank bringing multiple women into her mother’s pub, had walked in with another man.

Frank was due to hang for the murder, but due to public outcry his sentenced was commuted, and he died in prison in 1905.

The Murderers Pub is incredibly interested in its own history; the current landlord, Philip Cutter, has displayed birth and death certificates of Maria, Millie, and Frank, as well as newspaper clippings and even the murder weapon!

24/10/2017

isabellesiddle