Travel

Boston: city of many faces

Boston, Massachusetts is the go-to place for all the history of North America that you could ask for. No one will know it better or have it so ingrained in their mind than an English person on a Freedom Trail tour, where you will be mocked mercilessly for the Boston Tea Party and the Boston Massacre. Guided like a class on a field trip and transported into the 17th century, Americans do what they do best: put on a show.

With a month to spend in this small and modest city, there was time for the standard tourist must-sees and the more obscure attractions. Quincy market and Faneuil Hall resemble Covent Garden: a bustling marketplace filled with pricey but tempting treats and cobbled streets, the playground for an array of street performers.

From the crowded marketplace to the peaceful and natural surroundings, if there’s one thing summer calls for in Boston; it’s kayaking on the Charles River. Seeing the riverside sights from the water is so breathtaking that it may even distract you from working hard paddling along. The combination of buildings with the abundance of green from the trees and bushes along the bank reflecting in the river gives a surreal but unique quality to Boston. It’s a city and a quiet escape all in one: five minutes or so and you can have whichever you please.

The summer obsession with water is inevitable in the humidity of Boston. Activities such as whale watching are magnificent. Don’t leave it until the last minute though as it’s not guaranteed you will see any. Duck Tours are common in England too, but given the American love for flair and a show, this one is a must. If you’re lucky, for five or ten minutes you can even hold the fearful lives of fellow passengers in your hands by becoming captain of the Duck Boat.

From the water to the sky, Boston isn’t one of those cities you’d automatically consider for amazing panoramic views, but it delivers. At the Top of the Hub, don your best gear and enjoy a fancy dinner while looking out through the floor to ceiling windows displaying the skyline. With a cocktail in hand and level with the highest lights, Boston is a city with an array of sceneries, there really is something for everyone.

22/01/2013

kirstenpowley

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031