Brazil’s President Jair Bolsonaro Says His Future Consists of Being Arrested, Killed, or Re-elected.

Brazil’s far-right president Jair Bolsonaro has declared:  “I have three alternatives for my future: being arrested, killed or victory,” whilst addressing the country’s Evangelical leaders at an election campaign event last week. 

His stark remarks come after the public outcry to the Brazilian government’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic, which has seen 583,362 people lose their lives to the virus in the country. This makes it the second-highest death toll in the world. 

Bolsonaro has been accused of downplaying the severity of the virus saying: “With my history as an athlete, if I were infected with the virus, I would have no reason to worry. I would feel nothing, or it would be at most just a little flu.” 

However, he now also faces a parliamentary inquiry commissioned by the Brazilian Senate over allegations of corruption in the Health Ministry, due to overpayment for vaccines. In response, Bolsonaro said he has “no way of knowing everything that happens in the 22 ministries of his government.” 

As a result, Bolsonaro’s ratings have fallen below that of the previous left-wing president, Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva who was arrested in 2018, for corruption and money laundering charges, things Bolsonaro vowed to tackle in his inauguration speech in 2019. 

Since his dramatic declaration of his fate, Bolsanora has since discussed on a radio interview that he is expecting “restrictive sanctions” to be placed on him by the Federal Supreme Court under charges that he is a threat to democracy.

14/09/2021

Freyja Elwood

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930