Not only are they extremely simple to make, but these scones will keep for up to five days, making them nice and easy to grab on the way to an early morning lecture.
Makes approximately 10.
• 225g of self-raising flour
• 50g of margarine
• 125ml of milk
• 25g of caster sugar
• 50g of glacé cherries
For a more savoury option, remove the sugar and cherries and replace them with 50g of grated cheese.
1. Sieve the flour into a large bowl and set the oven for 225C or gas mark 7.
2. Using your fingertips, rub the margarine into the flour until it looks like breadcrumbs.
3. Mix in the sugar and cherries.
4. Gradually add the milk and use a small spoon to slowly mix it in, making sure it doesn’t become too sticky.
5. Knead gently and roll into a ball. Sprinkle some flour on a worktop.
6. Roll out the mixture onto the worktop top until it’s about 2cm thick, then cut to the desired size.
7. Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown and well risen.
8. Allow to cool before storing the scones in an airproof container.