Breaking News, Main Stories, News

BREAKING: Boris Johnson has resigned as PM

Boris Johnson has resigned as leader of the Conservative Party, after a dramatic 48 hours of over 40 ministerial resignations from his government.

A statement was released from the Prime Minister’s office at 9.10 AM this morning detailing that he would be making a formal resignation statement to the public later today, but would stay on as PM until a Tory leadership election in the Autumn. The announcement came moments after it was revealed the new Education Secretary, Michelle Donelan – who had been in her post for less than 48 hours – had resigned, alongside the new Chancellor of the Exchequer having privately approached the PM to request he step aside.

A Conservative leadership contest will now take place over the summer and a new Prime Minister will be in place before the party conference in October.

Here is a brief timeline of the dramatic political events of the past 48 hours:

Tuesday 5th July
6.03 PM: Health Secretary Sajid Javid resigns, followed only a few minutes later by the Chancellor of the Exchequer, Rishi Sunak.

Wednesday 6th July
12 PM: Johnson insists he will stay in his job as he is publically faced with calls to go from his own backbench MPs at Prime Minister’s Question Time.
Evening: A handful of Cabinet Ministers including Home Secretary Priti Patel is reported to have gathered inside No.10 to urge the Prime Minister to “go with dignity”.
9.00 PM Levelling-Up Secretary, Michael Gove is fired by the PM, with a No 10 source saying: “You can’t have a snake who is not with you on any of the big arguments who then gleefully tells the press the leader has to go.”

Thursday 7th of July
6.54 AM Northern Ireland Secretary, Brandon Lewis, resigns his post
8.46 AM Newly appointed Chancellor, Nadhim Zahawi tells Johnson to “go now”
8.53 AM Newly appointed Education Secretary, Michelle Donelan resigns from government.
9.11 AM Boris Johnson announces he will resign.

12.30 PM Johnson officially resigns

Private and public discussions have already begun as to who will throw in their hat to succeed Mr Johnson, with the Attorney General, Suella Braverman MP and prominent Brexiteer, Steve Baker MP, already publicly announcing their interest in standing.

Labour leader, Sir Keir Starmer, has told journalists “It is good news the PM has resigned…[but] it should have happened long ago”, as Mr Johnson “was always unfit for office” and that those who had propped him up “should be utterly ashamed”.

07/07/2022

Jamie Bryson

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031