Breast Cancer awareness on campus

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, and the University of East Anglia has much to contribute.

cancer

Professor John Saxton, from UEA’s school of Rehabilitation Sciences, has assisted in reviewing the current scientific evidence of lifestyle impact on breast cancer risks and recovery. The main focus delves into preventing and managing the long term conditions of the disease, with research stemming from studies with cancer patients and survivors.

Saxton states, “The Gap Analysis 2013 is the most comprehensive review of breast cancer research to have ever taken place in the UK and provides us with what we need to know, and what we need to do to overcome, prevent, cure, and outlive breast cancer by 2050”.

This research is not the only action set in motion to overcome and raise awareness of the disease. The national charity ‘Coppafeel!’ is being promoted on Campus as well. This charity is aimed specifically at young people, with a unique focus on young men, who have ten times as high a fatality rate if a cancer in the breast tissue develops.

UEA’s charity Leader Rachel Stott said: “We want to be a presence at most student events, raising awareness that the disease is fully capable of developing in younger generations”.

22/10/2013

lucypalfreeman

1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031