Music, Venue

Brit awards’ gloss over female talent

Last week saw the release of the Brit award nominations, recognising the work of British and international artists of mainstream pop music. However, there was one glaring trend, for some very peculiar reason, British female artists it seemed weren’t worth the same recognition as their male contemporaries. The Brit awards this year are led by signature grim artist, Dave for his album Psychodrama, which won the mercury prize. It also sees Scottish singer, Lewis Capaldi lead the line for Best British Single and Best British Album. However, within these mixed-gender categories, women appear absent. The only exception to this is Mabel, the daughter of “Buffalo Stance” famed singer Neneh Cherry.

The Brit awards lack for female representation is in a sharp contrast to the release of the NME awards where female recognition is at least included. With the case of NME, their coveted “God-like Genius award will be given to Emily Eavis, the head organizer of the Glastonbury festival, who since her father Michael stepped down from the role, has been responsible for booking the likes of Foo Fighters, Stormzy and The Cure as some of the headliners in recent years. There is no doubt about the vast breath of British female talent crossing all genres, there is however a problem with viewing them as foreground musicians, the aging trajectory of male-centred focus is a smokescreen that should be diffused.

28/01/2020

Lewis Oxley

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930