It’s that time of year again when the stars don their tuxes and ball gowns in preparation for a night of fake smiles and emotional speeches. Sunday saw the turn of the BAFTAs (The British Academy of Film and Television Arts) in which Stephen Fry hosted a night of fun where British films were supposedly recognised just as much as their Hollywood counterparts. Leading up to the awards show Lincoln and Les Misérables were tipped for the top with ten and nine nominations respectively.

Anne Hathaway - Concrete

It came as no surprise after his wins at the Golden Globes that the two most prestigious awards, Best Picture and Best Director, were nabbed by Ben Affleck for Argo. Lincoln’s lot proved disappointing as they were only able to obtain one award for Daniel Day-Lewis’ performance as the eponymous president.

James Bond once again proved as popular as ever as Skyfall came away with the award for Outstanding British Film as well as that of Best Original Music. Unfortunately for Judi Dench her fabulous performance in the latest Bond extravaganza was overlooked as the award for Best Supporting Actress went to Anne Hathaway for her role as Fantine in Les Misérables.

Skyfall - Sony Pictures

Les Misérables came away with four awards yet Ang Lee’s Life of Pi only managed two, even being beaten by Silver Linings Playbook for Best Adapted Screenplay. Quentin Tarantino gained Best Original Screenplay for Django Unchained, an accolade he was clearly very proud of.

Anna Karenina won Best Costume Design, a huge honour as it contended with the likes of Les Misérables and Lincoln. Sadly for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey there was no such luck as it received no awards, its visual effects being trumped by Life of Pi.

Silver Linings Playbook

The EE Rising Star Award went to Juno Temple, who has appeared in Atonement and The Dark Knight Rises, and the award for Outstanding British Contribution to Cinema went to Tessa Ross, who has produced such greats as This Is England, Billy Elliot and In Bruges. Aptly, Danny Boyle, who she worked with on 127 Hours and Slumdog Millionaire, gave out the award.

The BAFTA Fellowship has been awarded to many talented people over the years; in most recent ceremonies the likes of Martin Scorsese and Christopher Lee have attained this honour. The 2013 award went to director Alan Parker, famous for Midnight Express, The Commitments and Evita – and a man who has accumulated 19 BAFTA nominations for his films over the years. He accepted the award humorously by saying, “When it was first mooted that I might get this award, I thought of what I’d like to say, and then 10 years went by.”

As a prelude to the Academy Awards, it still seems undecided who will win. Argo would seem to be the favourite to triumph, but with no nomination for Best Director, Lincoln may finally triumph. As awards ceremonies go, 2013 is simply proving that nothing is ever certain.