BUCS makes its much anticipated return to UEA

Last year, due to the Covid pandemic, BUCS competitions were canceled, but it now returns after more than 500 days.

Fixtures take place every Wednesday, and on the 13th October 2021, we saw the return of BUCS. UEA participated in home and away fixtures across a range of sports including basketball, football, hockey, lacrosse, netball, tennis, badminton, rugby and squash.

Returning to the games means a lot both for the clubs and for individual players. Daisy Walker, the President of the Women’s Hockey Club shared her opinion about returning to BUCS:

“As a club, we are thrilled to be playing again! We had always loved playing BUCS games before the pandemic, especially after our win in the Conference Cup of 2019. This year is even better as we are entering two teams, which gives even more of our members the opportunity to get involved with BUCS. The atmosphere of BUCS games is unrivaled, so I am so glad that our younger members finally get to experience it.”

The first 3 weeks have already produced some excellent results, including a number of victories: the Men’s Badminton team at Notts Uni and Lincoln with a score of 8-0 in both matches, the Women’s Badminton team at De Montfort University with a score of 5-3, UEA Men’s Hockey first team against Oxford (11-0) and the Tennis Men’s 1s at the Cambridge 2s (12-0). The Futsal 2s team stood out with its win against Belford 1s with a score of 12-0, which is a great start to the BUCS season for them.

Our teams at UEA also compete in local leagues alongside their BUCS commitments. 

An example of this is Rowing, as Club President Gabriel Smith says: “UEABC attended Cambridge Autumn Head on the 16th of October where we recorded two wins from two with our W.ClubB 8+ winning by 31.9 seconds and our W.ClubB 4+ winning by 39.6 seconds. We also attended Norfolk Long Distance Sculls on the 23rd of October where out Men’s four placed 1st and 2nd, were the second fastest crew of the day and the fastest sweep crew, winning by 1 minute 45 seconds. Our Women’s four also placed 1st…We won UEA sport ‘club of the month’ for our achievements at races, and partaking in the COP26 fundraising.”

Congratulations to all Sports Clubs on their successful start to the term and the BUCS season. UEA+SPORT wishes all teams good luck in their upcoming competitions.

We encourage all UEA students to attend matches and support their teams. Fans in the stands are an integral part of competition, and the words of Shota Manabe, a member of the UEA Baseball team, highlights the importance of support.

“This gives teams incredible power. When you see that there are people who believe in your victory, you try even more to avoid mistakes during the game, you try to do everything possible not to let your fans down and win not only for yourself, the team or the club, but also, and first of all, for your fans.”

So, do not hesitate to come to home matches at Sportspark and root for your favorite teams. Full information about our teams, places and fixture times can be found on the BUCS websites and UEA+SPORT Instagram.

Good luck to everyone, both fans and players!

16/11/2021

Victoria Todorova

November 2021
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930