Canary Corner – April 2013

Norwich City’s season has come to a standstill as they currently lie 14th with 35 points to their name. A recent run of losses and draws has brought them within four points of the relegation zone.

Photo: Canaries.co.uk

These poor results have put them at a low with their last four games leaving a lot to be desired. Losing to Wigan and drawing against Sunderland, who both lie below them in the league table, emphasised just how much the Canaries seem to be struggling to keep their Premier League dreams alive.

The Canaries have not won a game since 23rd February in their 2-0 victory over Everton and will need certainly need to produce more wins in their remaining five games of the season in order to ensure that they stay in the Premier League. Grant Holt was last season’s talisman scorer but has so far failed to find the back of the net as often as he used to despite signing a new three year contract for the team last summer.

City’s latest match against Arsenal was wrought with disaster, as boss Chris Hughton was frustrated with the team’s efforts. He declared they had battled well to take the lead through Michael Turner’s headed goal but had lost their advantage in the last seven minutes when Arsenal made a strong comeback to take the 3-1 win. After the match Hughton described decisions made by the referee as ‘almost criminal’ as an offside goal was deemed legal by the officials.

There is hope for the club yet with the signing of Ricky Van Wolfswinkel bringing the highly rated Dutch striker for £8.5 million. In his debut season for Sporting Lisbon the striker scored 23 goals in 39 games. With the current performance of the team disheartening he could be just the transfer that they need. But with Van Wolfswinkel not due until next season the team could be out of luck before his arrival.

Midfielder Robert Snodgrass remains positive stating that he does not believe the team will go down and that he is not worried about the threat of relegation. A win for the side would ensure their safety in the league and keep them from worry during the final matches of the season.

A 2-1 win against Reading secured another three points for the Canaries as they look to stay out of the crossfire of the relegation battle. Norwich City are close to the edge and with vital points needed to secure their position the next few matches shall be filled with concern for Hughton and fans alike as the team seek to up their current form to remain in the Premier League.

23/04/2013

hollywade Holly has just finished her third year studying Film and English, but sadly she never did manage to procrastinate by watching every film in IMDb’s top 250. Aside from the fun of her degree Holly is known to spend an unhealthy amount of time in the LCR which she will desperately miss when she has graduated and is forced to do something adult with her life.