Canary Corner – December 2011

Norwich continued their bid for survival with two hugely contrasting results. Whilst they were able to claim a win against QPR, the Canaries were ultimately given a reality check by Manchester City.

In the QPR game, Norwich looked more promising in the early exchanges, and went close through Steve Morison. It seemed almost inevitable then that the Canaries would score first. Russell Martin soon pounced on some hesitant Rangers’ defending to grab his second goal of the season, and put Norwich into the lead.

QPR had previously picked up nine points on the road this season, and levelled midway through the second half through Luke Young. However, such is the Canaries’ endeavour so far, they pushed on and were rewarded with a second. Captain Grant Holt was in the right place at the right time to convert Wes Hoolahan’s cross for the winner. Holt is proving to be an important asset to Paul Lambert’s side this campaign, scoring his third successive goal as a substitute.

Despite some nervy moments, City managed to hold on for an important three points. Carrow Road may be crucial in their survival bid, with three of their four wins coming at home.

The next fixture for Paul Lambert’s side was against the Citizens, and the difference in opposition showed as they were handed a heavy 5-1 defeat. Although City only led by one goal at half time, they were to show their superiority by grabbing a further four in the second half. Steve Morison managed to net a consolation strike, but it was a one sided affair.

The Manchester City result may have dented Norwich’s confidence, but they should not be too disheartened. On the balance of the season so far, the Canaries have shown strong survival credentials. Besides, many teams have been defeated heavily by Roberto Mancini’s men.

19/12/2011

miketomkins

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31