Canary Corner – May 2012

If ever there was a performance that epitomised a team’s season, it was the Canaries’ effort at the Emirates Stadium.

Despite going 1-0 down after 66 seconds thanks to a sublime finish from Yossi Benayoun, Norwich dug deep and continuously threatened the Gunners’ goal and were eventually rewarded for their efforts. Although Arsenal keeper Wojciech Szczesny could have dealt with Wes Hoolahan’s close range effort better, the Canaries certainly deserved their equaliser. Fifteen minutes later, Grant Holt was allowed to slip behind the Arsenal defence and lady-luck shone on Norwich as a wicked deflection looped Holt’s shot over the keeper and into the net. Whilst they had been lucky, City deserved their lead.

The second half ebbed and flowed and it looked like Arsenal’s superior quality had emerged in the form a brace from Robin Van Persie, giving the Gunners a 3-2 lead with quarter of an hour to play. But Norwich were still dangerous and when substitute Steve Morrison rifled in a vicious half volley on 84 minutes, the scores were deservedly level yet again, and the game finished 3-3. The result was a vindication of Paul Lambert’s tactics of playing two up front against a big side like Arsenal, something Arsene Wenger’s men do not often face against mid table teams like Norwich.

Sunday’s victory against an abysmal Aston Villa side was a fitting end to a brilliant season. First half goals from Grant Holt and were enough to secure victory and 12th place for Norwich, who finish the season on 47 points, an outcome any Canaries fan would have wholeheartedly taken at the start of Norwich’s first season back in the big time.

15/05/2012

charlieharris

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031