Canary Corner – November 2011

Plucky Norwich City upset the odds at Anfield, securing a 1-1 draw against a heavily profligate Liverpool. Captain Grant Holt netted his second Premier League goal midway through the second half to cancel out Craig Bellamy’s opener for the hosts. Goalkeeper John Ruddy was the Canaries’ hero, however, excellently denying Luis Suarez late on.

Martin Skrtel and Suarez both hit the woodwork in the first half, where City looked far more akin to relegation candidates than a possible surprise package this season. Holt’s bullet header from Anthony Pilkington’s swinging cross, which left Reina in no man’s land, was a perfect vindication of manager Paul Lambert’s strategy of not being overwhelmed by superior opposition, even when under the most severe of pressure.

Against Chelsea, earlier in the season, the Canaries were cruelly denied a point against top four opposition, and at Old Trafford they held their own against title favourites Manchester United. Lying in eighth at this stage of the season may only fail to surprise Lambert, whose inspirational qualities appear to have seamlessly made the transition from the Championship to the “best league in the world.”

The fearless Canaries were at their imperious best back at fortress Carrow Road the week before, easily dispatching Swansea City 3-1 thanks to goals from Pilkington and Russell Martin. Danny Graham replied for the Swans, netting the third goal of the game in the 12th minute, but it wasn’t going to hold back the yellow and green tide. Norwich are fast becoming the wise tip to avoid relegation, with teams such as Fulham, Wigan and Wolves having given no indication that they can match the Canaries’ dominance at home, or tenacity on the road.

25/10/2011

chrisking

April 2021
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930