Cannabis Factory found on Prince of Wales Road

Two men were brought before Norwich Magistrates Court on Thursday 22 April after police discovered a cannabis growing factory in the centre of the Norwich nightclub district.

Prince of Wales Street was busy with police officers on Wednesday 21, with forensic teams bustling in and out of the former KTV China City bar. It was later confirmed that a factory of more than 270 mature plants was discovered on the premises.

The officers arrived shortly before 6.30am and also entered the neighbouring Bar and Beyond club. Two men were arrested for questioning on suspicion of criminal activity.

Aleksander Hasa (21) was brought before the court charged with production of cannabis and criminal damage; and Agron Gjoni (45) faced charges of production of cannabis, criminal damage and abstracting electricity. Neither of the two men appears to be of any fixed abode.

The men appeared before the court via video link from Wymondham Police Investigation Centre (PIC). They both entered pleas; however, the case was judged inappropriate to be conducted at the Magistrates Court. Instead, it will be heard at the Norwich Crown Court on May 20. Until then, both Hasa and Gjoni will remain in police custody.

When police appeared on Wednesday morning, it was a shock to Andreas Lucas, who works at Krasadis Taverna across the street.

“I came to work at 9am and saw the police there and I was surprised,” he said. “I was wondering what was happening. It must be serious.”

Andy Gotts, who owns both Fluke and Envy on Prince of Wales Road, and is the chairman of Late Night Norwich, said it was a surprise to him to discover the police investigation taking place.

Police have appealed to the public to get in touch if they have any information that may assist them in the case.

04/05/2021

Jamie Hose

1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031