With this year’s Met Gala postponed, Carine Roitfeld has come to the rescue in providing some decadent escapism for anyone yearning for a bit of glamour at the moment.  The annual CR x amfAR fashion show partnered with YouTube, to raise money for their Fund to Fight Covid-19, by getting together the biggest names in the industry for the first at home runway show. The former editor of Vogue Paris, who now edits the bi annual CR fashion book and acts as global fashion director for Harper’s Bazaar, has hosted the event for the last few years and didn’t want to bypass the opportunity to raise money and provide some entertainment during quarantine. 

The event was as star studded as a red carpet, with models like Irina Shayk, Karen Elson and Lara Stone walking down their hallways decked out in outfits designed by Virgil Abloh, Richard Quinn and Simon Jacquemus, to name a few. The compilation of video clips also gave interior obsessives, or just generally nosy people like myself, the chance to see the homes of some of the biggest names in fashion, from Alessandra Ambrosio’s expansive garden to Karlie Kloss’ New York loft apartment. 

Live streaming fashion shows is by no means a new concept to the industry, as designers have been adapting with the shifting use of social media and have started to stream their shows online. Unlike these highly staged and produced affairs, Roitfeld’s show forced the models to try their hand at doing their own hair and makeup as well as roping in a willing family member to film their walk (with varying degrees of success). The most renowned makeup artists and hair stylists also sent in tutorials for the models to follow, so they could recreate high fashion looks from the comfort of their own bathrooms. 
Speaking to Vogue on the night, Roitfeld said “I was very thrilled that we were able to make this happen. I hope tonight is going to be fun and make people smile. It’s not easy for everyone these days, and fashion is here to make us smile.” If you didn’t catch it live, the entire video is up on YouTube and well worth a watch, even if it’s only to witness Isabeli Fontana walk down her at-home-runway with a cockatoo perched on her shoulder.