Featured Posts, Features

Celebrating Black History Month in Norwich

The beginning of October marks the commencement of Norfolk Black History Month: a period of observance across the United Kingdom which aims to promote knowledge of black culture, history and heritage.

While prevalent in other parts of the UK since 1987, Norfolk Black History Month did not begin until 2003. Since then, the county has held a numerous events including workshops, films and exhibitions in celebration of the period.

For those interested in getting involved this year, there is plenty to do in and around Norwich, with an event held almost every day during October. On Tuesday 30 October, an African film evening will be held at the Workshop, located in the city centre.

The evening will be based on Congolese director and actor Zeka Laplaine. His life work will be discussed and the evening will conclude with a screening of one of his films.

If comedy is more your thing, then why not go along and see highly acclaimed comedian Stephen K Amos? Amos will be performing at the Norwich Playhouse on both 26 and 27 October at 8pm. Described as one of the warmest comics around, he is in Norwich for two nights, where he will perform his new stand up show.

Throughout the month there will also be lots of talks and exhibitions held at the Forum in the city centre. The standout events include a lecture entitled Black History Month at the 1968 Olympic Games, on Tuesday 2, while on Friday 5 there will be the interesting Hollywood Representations talk which will focus on the portrayal of African Americans in Hollywood film.

UEA’s very own Afro-Caribbean Society (or the ACS as they are more commonly known) will be holding a series of events to honour the month. This includes a debate which will focus on the stigmas attached to ethnic culture and diversity. From past experience, these are always highly stimulating and thought provoking, and this year’s debate promises to be no different.

In addition to this, they have invited the African Caribbean Leukaemia Trust (ACLT) to the university. The ACLT are a well-respected charity whose brilliant work has helped save many lives since their establishment. They will present a talk about the disease and the importance of bone marrow donors in the black community.
Lastly, the ACS will be hosting their infamous Rep Your Country party, where people of all nationalities come together to celebrate different cultures in what is always a memorable night.

To find out more about the wide range of events being hosted in the city, visit norfolkblackhistorymonth.org.uk, or for times and details of events hosted by the ACS, visit them at facebook.com/acs.uea

09/10/2012

aniefiokekpoudom