China warns America to follow ‘one China’ policy after Biden invited Taiwan to democracy summit

China has accused Biden of making “a mistake” after the American President invited Taiwan to a democracy summit featuring 109 other democratic governments, not including China. Taiwan is a self-governing democracy, but Beijing’s ongoing claims that Taiwan is a province of China has led to significant tension in the region. 

Taiwan was listed amongst the participants of next month’s Summit for Democracy in a document published by the American state department on 23 November.

Taiwan’s presidential office has thanked Biden for the invitation. Spokesman Xavier Chang said “Taiwan will cooperate firmly with like-minded countries to protect universal values such as freedom, democracy and human rights; and also safeguard regional peace, stability and development”

China’s Taiwan Affairs Office spokeswoman, Zhu Fenglian, said Beijing opposed “any official interaction between the US and China’s Taiwan region.” The Chinese government has said it urges America “to [follow] the ‘one China’ principle and the three joint communiques.”

Biden has continued to follow America’s long-standing stance of acknowledging Beijing’s claim to Taiwan but not recognising the claim, though the US also said it “strongly opposes unilateral efforts to change the status quo or undermine peace and stability across the Taiwan Strait”.

In an online summit held last week, China’s President Xi Jinping told Biden that Beijing would have “no alternative but to take drastic measures” if their “red lines” were crossed.

07/12/2021

Aislinn Wright

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31