Christmas Classics Countdown

I love Christmas films. In my first year at uni, I had a ‘Christmas Countdown’, where I planned to watch a Christmas movie every day of December until Christmas. This year, I’m determined to complete it. 

Last year, I watched more Christmas movies in the two weeks before Christmas than I ever had before, thanks to movie days with my grandma. It’s that time of year again, so I’m going to share some Christmas movie recommendations.

Love, Actually: Okay, I know this one is an absolute cheese fest, but it’s a classic! With all the British acting legends – Hugh Grant, Colin Firth, and Emma Thompson to name a few – it has something for everyone. It features a child’s first love, the breakdown of love, love beyond language, and so much more. Everyone’s seen it, but is it really Christmas without it?

The Holiday: Another brilliantly corny movie. A home swap for the holidays turns into romance for both parties, but it’s a lot more than that. The film is about letting oneself be vulnerable and being yourself. And who doesn’t love Arthur Abbott?

Jingle Jangle: This is a fairly recent Christmas film. Partly filmed in Norwich’s very own Elm Hill, this one differs from a lot of festive favourites. The musical, which I was very excited for, doesn’t have a focus on romance, but rather on family reconnecting and the pursuit of a dream. It’s incredibly heart-warming and one for the whole family.

Noelle: Again, this one is incredibly cheesy, but it’s a wonderful family film, especially for any young girls. It has a brilliantly uplifting, feminist take on a classic Christmas tale about becoming Santa.

Holidate: This one definitely isn’t for the whole family, but it’s a whole lot of fun. It’s a platonic, fake-dating tale which may or may not lead to real romance…

Love Hard: The newest of semi-awful-semi-entertaining Christmas movies. It includes a column writer whose love isn’t what it seems, carolling, and about 100 references to other Christmas movies. It’s far from amazing, but it’s surprisingly sweet.

Honorable Mentions: Arthur Christmas, Nativity, Holiday in the Wild, Krampus (an awful horror movie, but entertaining nonetheless), The Knight Before Christmas, The Holiday Calendar.Most Anticipated: This is going to be out by the time this article is published, but I’m counting down the days until Single All The Way is released. It’s a queer take on every Hallmark movie ever, and I can’t wait.

07/12/2021

Louise Collins

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031