We are living in a digital age. Naturally, a lot of us will immediately go to our laptops to search for Christmas presents. On the internet we can find more choice than we could ever need, prices which are often lower than they are in-store and the additional bonus that we can do it all from the comfort of our beds. But is online really the best at Christmas?

Online shopping certainly has its perks. The choice offered by the internet is just one of its advantages, especially if you have no idea what you want to get for somebody. However, if you want to be guaranteed your products will arrive before Christmas Day, you have to be organised.

Timekeeping is something that many of us students are not exactly skilled at. Plus, do you honestly want to risk getting an order in the post only to find that it holds no resemblance to its advertised picture? Should that occur, you are left with giving your loved one something you know will end up on eBay within the space of a week.

Shopping in stores isn’t great either, though. The weeks before Christmas, queues are so long you can feel yourself ageing as you wait in line. Plus, there is always the crazy person that grabs the same item as you and gives you the death stares until you let go.

The High Street can be a horrific place at Christmas, and while we would all prefer to be at home watching Miracle on 34th Street for the hundredth time, it cannot be totally avoided.

Even if you did do all of your shopping online and, by some miracle, it all came on time and nothing needed to be sent back, you are sure to have forgotten some cousin or great aunt and have to trudge out into the Christmas crowds.

Shopping at Christmas does have a certain quality to it that makes it appealing, especially if you do not set out with an exact shopping list. If you just take it easy, find somewhere to warm up and have a hot chocolate midday, it can become a great day out.

It is also a great chance to catch up with friends you have not seen since summer. Both methods have their advantages, but nothing really beats wrapping up warm and going out for a day with friends and family. In comparison, waiting by your door for a package is a lot lonelier, and not really how you want to be feeling at Christmas.

• Do you face the crazy crowds or click from bed?