Books

Christmas Shopping – Bookshop Edition

As the holiday season grows closer, many people are starting to worry about buying the perfect gift for their loved ones. Well, you can’t go wrong with a good book, and for that Norwich is the perfect place to be. From hidden gems to the more mainstream, here are the best places to shop for the bookworm in your life.

JR & RK Ellis – Located at 53 St Giles St this bookshop is one of my personal favourites. Full of an electric mixture of new and second-hand books, this shop is overflowing with interesting titles you won’t find in other stores. The specialised sections mean it’s perfect if you are shopping for someone with specific interests, but with a wide selection of new titles and helpful staff, it’s also ideal if they’re a little more indecisive.

City Bookshop – Found just off the market, this is the perfect place for the bookworm on a budget. Here you can discover very affordable new and second-hand books, and even a rail of books for only £1! And if you’re shopping for a comic book fan, this shop has a fantastic graphic novel section too.

Tombland Bookshop – This cosy shop lies opposite the ancient Norwich Cathedral. Located in a Tudor building, it is the perfect shop to get lost in while escaping from the cold. Plus, the great variety of books, and collection on local history, means you will have plenty to keep yourself occupied.

The Book Hive – This shop has won the Best Independent Bookshop in the East of England award twice, and it’s easy to see why. Set on London Street near the castle, this shop is a great place to find books by less well-known authors, as well as the classics. The magical atmosphere is enhanced by the gorgeous covers of the books, as well as the huge curving window on the second level. It also has a great children’s section which is perfect if you’re shopping for the young (or young at heart).Waterstones – No list would be complete without this. Whilst I would always encourage shopping from independent retailers, you can never go wrong with this shop’s impressive collection. With signed books by local authors and a particularly good selection of sustainable stationery, you can always find a gift here. And with a student card, it doesn’t cost a fortune!

07/12/2021

Eleanor Carr

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31