Fashion

Concrete at London Fashion Week

London Fashion Week: five days of catwalk shows, famous faces and the trends we’ll all be lusting after next season.

It may be over, but what we’ve seen on the catwalks will be making its way onto the high street for Spring/Summer 2013. You can find highlights from all the shows, and information about the designers, on the London Fashion Week website. It is definitely worth a look.

My top tips are Vivienne Westwood’s Red Label show at the Natural History Museum; House of Holland’s amazing printed and tie-dyed collection; and Temperley, for the most glamorous dresses you will ever see. If you watch the Vivienne Westwood highlights, you will see her emerging at the end of her show wrapped in a flag of protest for climate change, wearing pink hot pants with a drawn-on moustache and monocle. Yes, really.

My favourite show of week had to be Mulberry. Their current ad campaign resembles something out of Where the Wild Things Are and they stuck with the theme of nature for their LFW show.

With the official theme of “English Garden”, guests were met by giant garden gnomes and tiered cakes in two of the show’s key colours – peach and mint. Kate Moss, Alexa Chung and Lana Del Rey sat side-by-side on the front row, demonstrating Mulberry’s massive celebrity fan base, and the power that comes with having a handbag named after you.

The catwalk was surrounded by images of woodland, and, in keeping with the fun garden theme, a particularly chic Standard Poodle made its way down the catwalk.

The obligatory leather was everywhere, worn with pretty calf-length dresses, wide-legged trousers and big jackets.

Peach and mint floral, jacquard, and amazing monochrome prints showed that Mulberry isn’t just about bags. Their over-sized biker jacket has already made its way onto my fashion wish list – I’ll be on the lookout for a high street version next season.

The show was also an opportunity for Mulberry to showcase their new bag, the Willow. It is a tote with a detachable clutch bag on the front, which means two bags for the price of one, but more importantly, it is beautiful.

It came down the catwalk in a whole array of colours, and will be available in three sizes. Kate Moss has already been snapped carrying one, so prepare to see it on the arms of celebs and socialites everywhere. I’ll have mine in the mint, please.

09/10/2012

clairekidman