Main Stories, News

Congress certifies Biden victory after capitol siege

Democrat Joe Biden was confirmed the presidential election winner by congress on January 7th, just hours after supporters of President Donald Trump stormed the U.S. Capitol in a bid to overturn the result.

Following the removal of the violent mob, lawmakers in Washington D.C worked late into the night before officially announcing the victory of president-elect Biden the next morning. President Trump has now agreed to an “orderly transition” of power on January 20th.

However, such news has been overshadowed as the world was left in shock at the chaotic scenes which unfolded in the nation’s capital. Four people died as a large assembly of demonstrators loyal to the president stormed the Capitol building. The event unfolded following months of rhetoric from Mr Trump and certain Republican allies who sought to question the validity of the November election.

As the count was underway in congress, Trump delivered a speech to thousands of supporters. Despite there being no evidence of election fraud, the president claimed: “we will never give up, we will never concede”, before adding: “we’re going to walk down to the Capitol”, a statement which many have claimed incited the violence.

The president posted a statement to his loyalists on Twitter in which he said: “I know your pain… We had an election that was stolen from us… but you have to go home now”. Twitter then proceeded to permanently suspend Trump’s account due to a risk of further incitement of violence. Facebook and Instagram have followed suit in indefinitely banning the president.

Trump labelled the events a “heinous attack on the United States Capitol”, stating he was “outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem”.

Politicians from both sides have criticised the president’s actions. Joe Biden said the violence was “not a protest” but an “insurrection”. Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell stated: “If this election were overturned by mere allegations from the losing side, our democracy would enter a death spiral”. Mr Trump’s own Vice-President, Mike Pence, labelled the violence a “dark day in the history of the United States Capitol”.

Democratic congressmen now plan to launch impeachment proceedings against President Trump. The four-page draft labels him a “threat to national security” and, in addition to being removed, recommends he be disqualified from future office.

The results from congress now clear the way for Biden to be sworn in on January 20th.

Trump announced he will be the first outgoing president since 1869 not to attend the inauguration of his successor.

19/01/2021

William Warnes

William Warnes

Global Editor - 2019/20

Co-Deputy Editor - 2020/21

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31