Conservative election candidate Nick Conrad has said he is standing down over “ill-judged comments” he made on the radio about a rape case.

The former BBC Radio Norfolk presenter had been chosen as the party’s candidate for the Broadland seat in Norfolk. However, he withdrew because of the media attention surrounding his previous comments on-air. During an on-air radio discussion in 2014, Conrad said that women should, “keep their knickers on” to avoid rape and ever since then, the former MP has been heavily criticized. Prime Minister Boris Johnson weighed in on the issue, saying that Mr Conrad had long apologised but still stressing the magnitude of how unacceptable the comments were. In that same on-air exchange, Conrad said: “I think women need to be more aware of a man’s sexual desire. That when you’re in that position that you are about to engage in sexual activity, there’s a huge amount of energy in the male body, there’s a huge amount of will and intent, and it’s very difficult for many men to say no when they are whipped up into a bit of a storm.” The Conservative party released a statement on the past week stating that Mr Conrad said that he made a genuine and heartfelt apology for his ill-judged comments. Mr Conrad confirmed he was dropping out only two days after he was chosen as the party’s candidate. Jerome Mayhew, who runs an adventure company, has been chosen as the replacement for Mr Conrad.

19/11/2019

Matt Musindi

December 2021
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031