Conservatives to cut ties with “risky” student groups

The Conservative Party may try to sever links with universities’ societies, the Huffington Post has reported.

A document leaked to the news site appears to propose changing the party structure so that “risky student politics” are taken “outside the remit of the Party”.

The recommendations state they wish to bring “the youth wing firmly into the mainstream Party” so they are “able to award and discipline youth groups”.

A representative for the UEA Conservative Association said they felt the document’s legitimacy was not yet confirmed.

They said: “The UEA Conservative Association would like to make clear that it condemns any inappropriate action or rhetoric towards both members of the public and students.

“In time, the validity of this statement will be verified.

“However, as far, we hope that such practices by the aforementioned groups cease, and a meaningful dialogue between the party and its local representatives can be had.”

The party’s organisation for under-30s faced immense criticism after a young member killed himself following claims of bullying during the 2015 general election. The organisation, Conservative Future, has now been disbanded.

In February, it was reported a member of Cambridge University’s Conservative society burnt a £20 note in front of a homeless man.

In the summary of the report, it is claimed that young Tories “have been used as campaign resource [sic] without adequate training, oversight or communication”.

The party have been lambasted in recent weeks for a failure to muster a strong youth support base.

10/10/2017

EmilyHawkins

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930