Coronavirus update

Now that England has entered Stage Two of the government’s plan to ease lockdown restrictions, businesses such as pubs and hairdressers have been allowed to re-open, leading to an influx of customers.

Many pubs are facing a shortage of draught beers with the surge in demand, even though they can currently still only serve customers seated outside. Reports show Birra Moretti and Amstel are in particularly high demand, and Heineken has limited UK pubs to three kegs per week.

In a statement issued to the MailOnline, Heineken UK said that the response to eased Covid-19 measures has “totally surpassed our most optimistic forecasts” and that breweries are working “round the clock” to supply the beer.

For England, the next milestone in the government’s roadmap will be no sooner than 17 May, when people can meet up outside in groups of up to 30, and groups of up to six or two households can meet indoors. Museums, cinemas, theatres and hotels will all be able to re-open, and pubs will be permitted to serve customers inside. It is also expected that international holidays will be allowed once England enters Stage Three.

After that, the next marker is expected at the end of June, when all social distancing restrictions will be lifted.

The government has been able to follow the roadmap thus far due to the coronavirus death rate remaining low. There have been six new deaths in the last 24-hour period, and the death toll now stands at 127,434: that is the number of deaths recorded within 21 days of a positive Covid-19 test result.

More than 4.4 million cases of coronavirus have been contracted in the UK since the start of the pandemic, with 2,064 cases in the latest daily figure, keeping to a decreasing trend over the last three months. More than 33.7 million first doses of a coronavirus vaccine have been administered by the NHS, and over 14.5 million second doses have been administered.

A new study, conducted by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) and Oxford University, has found that the chance of becoming infected with coronavirus after receiving either the AstraZeneca or Pfizer vaccine drops sharply.

The results also suggest the vaccines work just as effectively on those aged 75 and over, and those with underlying health conditions.

The research has been gathered from two studies which are yet to be published and peer reviewed. Information was gathered from a sample group of 370,000 people in the general UK population, one of the largest studies conducted as yet.

Findings taken from the first study show that a single injection of either vaccine, the chance of contracting another bout of coronavirus decreased by 65%.

With social distancing measures to be potentially lifted on 21 June, one editorial and news photographer has started a project to gather pictures of Covid-19 warning signs displayed all across London.

Matthew Chattle has taken more than 270 photos of social distancing signs to document what he described a “significant period of history.”

04/05/2021

Jamie Hose

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31