Coronavirus Update for norfolk and the uk

The country-wide coronavirus death toll stands at 52,745 people as of 17th November. There have been close to 1.5 million cases and 196,559 hospital admissions.

Though the number of new cases daily remains high, there has been a decrease over the last few days, bringing it down to just over 20,000. The daily death toll has risen to 598, of which 518 occurred within England.

During the week of 14th November, Norfolk has experienced 290 new cases per 100,000 people. Most of these cases have been recorded in the southern part of the county.

The John Grant School in Caister-on-Sea, close to Great Yarmouth, has been forced to shut because of the virus. The school is for children and young people with learning difficulties, including ages from four to 19, and consists of 149 pupils in total.

A total of six cases at the school left only three classes open and one class partially open, said a recent newsletter. There are hopes the school will reopen later this month.

“All the teachers have been preparing work for pupils to try and continue at home in case this situation arose,” said head teacher Ms Pam Ashworth.

Closures have also affected the coronavirus testing site at the Postwick Park and Ride. The site is run by security firm G4S, who released a statement on the 15th confirming four positive cases amongst members of staff.

They also offered reassurances the drive through site was being deep cleaned and should be back up and running “as soon as possible.” People with tests booked at the site have been redirected elsewhere.

The testing centre runs a staff of 43 workers per shift. An outbreak in facilities such as this is declared at the minimum of two positive tests amongst staff members. G4S has said that all PHE, Department of Health and NHS risk management protocols are being observed.

As well as health services, the Norfolk police have been struggling to collect fines issued on the grounds of social distancing violations. Figures collected recently by the Associated Press under Freedom of Information Act requests reveal that over 58% of the fines issued by Norfolk police from 27th March to 21st September were not paid within the allotted 28-day time frame.

A total of 410 fines were issued, but 238 of them remained unpaid at the end of the given time period. The amount of £10,000 is the fixed compensation for hosting more than 30 people on your property. Such penalties have come to be called “super-fines.”

The figures were released following the police being instructed to return to handing out these super-fines less than a week after they were suspended.

When Norfolk finally emerges from the second lockdown, there are suggestions the county could be split into different tiers. Parts of Wymondham currently sit in the top 200 areas for infection rates, whereas places such as Sheringham and Swaffham have had two cases or below.

The decision will be discussed in a council meeting on the 19th November.

24/11/2020

Jamie Hose

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930