Coronavirus Update Norwich 7/12/2020

The UK could well be on track to have a total of 2 million recorded coronavirus cases. The current statistic stands at 1,750,241, with the most recent daily increase being 12,282. The death toll now stands at 62,033.

There are three different methods of measuring the death toll. The above statistic refers to the number of deaths within 28 days of receiving a positive test result. The number of deaths where coronavirus is mentioned on the death certificate is higher, at 73,125. And the highest figure, 77,881 deaths, relates the surplus above the expected number of deaths for this time of year.

While the national average of 148.8 cases per 100,000 has dropped from 162.6, in Norfolk the figures have climbed. In the first week of December, the figure rose from 91.2 per 100,000 to 99.

Norwich, along with the rest of Norfolk, has been placed in Tier 2 category. This means most businesses can open provided they follow “Covid-secure measures,” pubs and restaurants can only serve alcohol with meals and must finish taking orders at 10pm, that the rule of six applies to gatherings of more than one household outside, and you cannot socialise with anyone outside of your support bubble inside.

On coming out of lockdown at the end of November, county council leader Andrew Proctor said, “People in Norfolk have worked so hard to pull together to protect each other and to protect our county and for this reason we had hoped we would be able to move into tier one from [early December].

“However, in reaching the decision the government has… concluded that the risk posed by household visits remains too high.”

As of December 9, the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital and James Paget University Hospital in Gorleston will begin offering vaccinations to people in the Norfolk region. Currently, invitations are being sent out to care home staff and residents and members of the public over 80 years old, who are considered at high risk from the virus.

Frontline NHS staff will also receive vaccinations.

15/12/2020

Jamie Hose

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
    1
    2
    3