The Cost of Freshers Wristbands

During Freshers week, many universities sell wristbands for the club nights and events taking place. At UEA, this year there is a ‘Welcome Wristband’ for new students set at the price of £62.50, but just how much are you really saving by purchasing one? 

The Week 1 ‘Welcome Wristband’ grants you entry to a club night or event every night of Freshers week, and if you were to buy tickets to each event separately, it would cost £80, meaning the wristband gives you a reasonable saving of £17.50. The ‘Returners Wristband’ for returning students costs £56, as the events are slightly different but still includes the biggest night, the ‘Welcome Ball’ which is priced at £32 for a ticket, and therefore generates a similar saving. 

Sussex University prices their wristband similarly at £65, however, they include a first release offer of tickets priced at £55. One of their main events being a Pier Party and Seafront takeover, making use of the ever-popular Brighton beach and its Palace Pier. Bristol University on the other hand, sells their wristbands at £32, however, this only guarantees access to three club nights. 

From my experience, I think that wristbands are a good way of ensuring you’ll be able to go out to any event your flat mates or course mates are going to. They offer the security of being able to go with the flow and join your friends on any night out, without the hassle of planning. If you have a ‘Welcome Wristband’, you will still have to factor in the cost of buying drinks and taxis which will increase your total spend to well over £62.50. 

Wristbands at UEA, nevertheless, remain ever popular; this year selling out weeks before term begins.

17/09/2019

Jake Walker-Charles

December 2021
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031