Council plan bus and cycle improvements

Norfolk County Council are to spend £4m on cycle and bus routes between UEA and the city centre as part of on of the government’s “growth deals”. The money awarded to the eastern region is part of wider plans to make Norfolk and Suffolk an “economic powerhouse”.

The plans will create better ‘green’ access to the university and include quicker journeys to the city centre and “a bus interchange at the university site is a possibility” a Norfolk County Council spokesperson said.

Public transport and cycle ways are largely used by students and better access to the city will not only benefit students on campus but possible additional routes could increase access around student housing in the city.

A university spokesperson said: “We welcome the news the government has recognised the need to invest in sustainable travel in Norfolk and in particular the Norwich Research Park. The university meets regularly with Norfolk County Council, public transport operators and others who can deliver sustainable travel solutions, and this forum has already highlighted a number of areas for improvement.

“We intend to continue to work closely with Norfolk County Council to ensure the funding benefits staff, students and visitors to UEA and the wider Research Park”.
Simon Wright, the MP for Norwich South, said he was thrilled at the investment: “I’m delighted to see these plans get the go-ahead. They represent a huge recognition by the Coalition Government of the high value of Norwich’s future”.

He added “East Anglia is finally getting the recognition it merits as a driver of growth”.

10/02/2015

SusannahSmith