Courgette, carrot and apple cake

Special ingredient cakes are always fun – whilst people devour your cake, you can keep the veggie part a secret. The vegetables in this recipe add texture and moisture in abundance.

For the cake:

• 1 small apple, grated
  • 1 small carrot, grated
  • 1 small courgette, grated
  • 200g caster sugar
  • 200g butter, softened
  • 200 plain flour
  • 2 eggs
  • Pinch of cinnamon
  • ½ tsp baking powder

For the icing:

• 200g icing sugar
  • 125g butter
  • Orange juice
  • Lime/citrus peel to top it all off

Alternative icing and additional ingredients:

• Whipped cream
  • Peanut butter
  • Marmalade (orange or lime is fine)
  • 50g sultanas/raisins

Method – for the cake:

1. Line two 7-inch round baking tins with baking parchment and a bit of butter around the rims and pre-heat the oven to 180C
  2. Add the butter and caster sugar to a large mixing bowl and mix together until creamy.
  3. Beat the eggs in a mug with a fork before gradually adding them to the butter mixture, making sure each addition is incorporated nicely before adding more.
  4. Add the grated apple, carrot, citrus peel (if using) or juice and courgette to the bowl.
  5. Sieve and mix all the remaining dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.
  6. Fold the dry ingredients into the butter mix, making sure it all mixes in.
  7. Split the mixture into the two tins.
  8. Pop in the oven on a middle shelf for around 20-25 minutes until golden on top and check that it is cooked through by sticking a skewer or knife into the centre of the cake and seeing if it comes out clean.
  9. Leave to cool before turning out.

Method – for the icing:

1. Cream the butter with 150g of icing sugar and a bit of orange/lime zest. The icing can be placed in the fridge to thicken.
  2. Alternatively, make the icing with 50g of the icing sugar and some orange juice or water (depending on how much citrus you want in the cake).
  3. Once the two halves are cool, sandwich the icing between them and coat the top, before sprinkling a bit of whatever zest you have on top for decorative purposes.

Additional tips:

If you like, you can add dried fruits such as sultanas, raisins or cranberries at stage six.

02/10/2012

aliceedwards

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031