TV

Crossovers in Television Episodes

After fans were left disappointed following the cancellation of Netflix’s magical Archie Comics teen-drama reboot The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, which was announced after the release of its fourth season, all hopes were lost for the Greendale and Riverdale crossover that was rumoured to be in the works for Season Five. However, on October 7th, just in time for the spooky season, our Instagram feeds were blessed.

With a cheeky photo and caption, and a suitable devil-face emoji, Keirnan Shipka declared her return to the role for a major crossover as she announced her next chilling adventure – a transition ‘from Greendale to Riverdale’. Promising to see us in Riverdale’s Season Six, we can’t imagine what sort of hellish plotlines Riverdale has in store for us next as Sabrina Spellman and Cheryl Blossom are rumoured to be teaming up in a special episode.

To celebrate this news, we thought we would reflect on five of our favourite crossovers to date, looking back on television’s attempts to tease us with the character run-ins and sneaky easter eggs that make ‘crossover episodes’ the rare magical unicorns of television that they are.

1.      “That’s So Suite Life of Hannah Montana” (2006)

In this triple Disney Channel crossover combining fan favourite shows That’s So Raven (2003-2007), The Suite Life of Zack & Cody (2005-2008), and Hannah Montana (2006-2011), we think Disney unknowingly set the standards for all future crossovers, including “Wizards on Deck with Hannah Montana” (2009) which took place a few years later.

2.      “iParty with Victorious” (2011)

Combining Dan Schnieder’s iCarly and Victorious, this Nickelodeon crossover-spectacular gave us everything from comical character collisions, heart-warming team-ups, to a catchy musical number. Meanwhile, it foreshadows the spin off-crossover series of Sam & Cat (2013-2014).

3.      New Girl and Brookyln Nine-nine (2016)

Expanding beyond the world of childhood memory lane, in this comedy crossover the loveable and quirky Jess Day runs into the charming Jake Peralta during her New York vacation.

4.      Scooby-Doo and Supernatural (2018)

Entering the animated world, the cast of Supernatural help Scooby’s gang solve some mysteries in this exciting and imaginative crossover!

5.      The Simpsons and Family Guy (2014)

Including special appearances from the dads from Bob’s Burgers and The Flintstones, this is the ultimate family-comedy cartoon crossover!

26/10/2021

Lily Boag

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031