Lifestyle, Travel

Culinary Norwich – A Taste of Shanghai

Norwich is often referred to as the City of Stories. Yet, where do these stories come from?

For myself, many of my fondest memories come from the market here in the heart of Norwich. Often regarded as one of the UK’s best outdoor markets, Norwich market houses many second-hand clothes shops, home media stores, and so much more. However, the market’s most alluring feature is undoubtedly its many eateries. One of the most notable of these eateries is the Taste of Shanghai, located near the back of the market.

Run by a husband-and-wife duo, the Taste of Shanghai serves authentic Chinese street food including stir fry noodles, black bean curry, and, perhaps their most beloved meal, chicken Katsu Curry. The food served here is freshly made on location and tastes divine – to this day, it remains the best Chinese food I’ve ever had. The combination of tenderly cooked and breaded chicken along with finely boiled rice or noodles, topped with a luxurious sauce.

Yet, the real source (pun intended) of the fine establishment’s success, and the reason why I have continually returned over my three years at UEA is because of simple detail: the people serving the food itself. So often when we go out to eat we acknowledge, consciously or subconsciously, the role of those who serve us, the importance of customer service, but we rarely go much further to break down those barriers, to see the person on the other side of that transaction. In a time when our shopping habits are dominated by chain restaurants or on demand delivery, isn’t it time we gain greater appreciation for those who help to facilitate our memories and stories. Next time you’re in town, why not say hello to Alan and Lisa, and try for yourself a taste of Shanghai.

05/10/2021

TristanP

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031