UEA Women’s Football are through to the next round of the cup after a 2-1 win in extra time against Nottingham Trent thirds.
Despite a number of questionable refereeing decisions going against them in the first half, UEA broke the deadlock, Sammy Algar with the opening goal.

The home side were unlucky not to add a second to put the game to bed, with Maite Martinez just missing out after some impressive build-up play.

In fact, UEA’s passing looked to have drastically improved following the disappointment at Bedford a week before. Though they at times looked reluctant to shoot, they nonetheless found themselves in good positions.

Trent fought hard to get themselves back into the game, and were rewarded after the interval with the equaliser.
UEA appeared to be flagging going into extra time, but were rejuvenated by the fresh legs of substitute Abbie Knell, who lit up the pitch despite playing out of her usual position.

Elsewhere, there was a solid performance from Jess Keeling and Jess Conroy at the back, while left-back Caron Hutchinson put in a full 90 minutes despite having sustained a sprained wrist in training.
With penalties looming, the Yellows survived an early scare as Trent hit the crossbar, before Algar hit home for UEA’s winner and her second of the match.

Sadly, it was there that their luck ran out as UEA went down 2-0 in a BUCS match at home to Northampton, despite a spirited display against the league leaders.

In their previous outing, Northampton had put 18 past Bedford 2nds, leading UEA to line up in a 4-5-1 formation to frustrate the away side. However, it took just seven minutes for them to open the scoring with a strike that found the top corner.
Despite the psychological blow of conceding early, UEA kept themselves in the game and looked particularly dangerous on the break, with Algar breaking through the defence only to squeeze her shot just wide of the post.

Northampton then doubled their lead after 62 minutes with a driven shot from the edge of the penalty area. UEA’s Rachel Voyce then came closest to halving Northampton’s advantage when the ball fell to her from a corner, but her shot was cleared off the line.
Admittedly, UEA expected a tough test against Northampton, but can be proud of their performance nonetheless.
Head Coach Lee Hamilton told Concrete: “We looked strong on the counter-attack and we knew that Northampton would be extremely difficult to beat.

“There is still a long way to go in the season and it’s clear the players are really starting to gel”.
The Yellows may have had an indifferent start to the league season, but will be boosted by an impressive cup run.
UEA will play Nottingham Trent’s second XI away in the next round on Wednesday 26th November.