Damning report into Ambulance Trust finds a culture of sexual assault and bullying

A recent report into East Anglia Ambulance Service Trust (EAAST) has found that the trust has ‘inadequate leadership’ and that this leadership ‘fostered abuse’. In the wake of thirteen allegations of sexual misconduct including predatory behaviour by staff, the regulator Care Quality Commission (CQC) released findings relating to the management of the EAAST. 

Regulators said that “The trust did not have effective safeguarding procedures to prevent the abuse of service users and staff in relation to criminal allegations made against staff.” Inspectors found that a ‘culture of bullying was normalised’ and leadership wholly inadequate with staff being unsure of where to turn.

The report also found that managers and staff ‘did not consistently promote a positive culture that supported and valued staff’ Continued levels of bullying, harrassment and discrimination and the organisation had failed to take adequate action to reduce this.

The report also found that there was not a strong enough emphasis on ‘health and wellbeing of staff’ and the style of leadership amongst the executive did not demonstrate an open and empowering culture leading in some cases to members of the leadership team having a defensive and combative approach to investigators.

Following the report the trust was placed under special measures by the CQC.

The Eastern Daily Press reported recently that staff members were made aware of allegations of sexual misconduct several months before the report was published. 

Chief executive of the East England Ambulance Service Trust Dorothy Hosein committed to solving the problems within the ‘troubled’ organisation upon her takeover in 2018. The story continues.

13/10/2020

Samuel Woolford