When I first joined the Ballroom and Latin Dance Club (UEABLDC) two years ago, I did not expect it to be quite as impactful on my life as it has been. Since then, I have taken part in competitions, performed on stage, and am now going into my second year of being on the committee.

Through the competitions and classes you build and maintain a sense of confidence, resilience and perseverance. But more importantly, you gain lasting friendships. A degree is hard work, and a creative output is often needed.

One Dance Squad member said they found that dance provided them, “with such a great stress relief from University life through attending weekly classes with additionally opportunities to perform on stage, improving my confidence.”

Of course, there are socials and events too. The Ballroom and Latin Club hold a range of socials, including our annual roller-disco social, as well as pub-bingo, BBQs by the lake, and also our biggest event of the year, UEA Strictly. Socials are the best way to meet members from other levels and styles of dance, as well as people from other clubs.

Dancing at university is a great way to keep fit for a low cost, but it’s also a really good way to make new friends who you otherwise wouldn’t have met.

There are five dance clubs at UEA, including the Ballroom and Latin Dance Club, Dance Squad, Tap, Ballet, and Cheer Dance. Anyone can join, and you can find ambassadors for each club at the Sports Fayre on the 25th September.