Deputy Editors' Column

Dancing, laughing and remembering

The past three weeks have flown past and I find myself here again, not knowing what to write about in my Editorial, with the impending deadline in a few hours.

Last night, as I sat with my housemates whilst they got ready to go out, I read Sarah Everard’s mother’s Victim Impact Statement. It was quite possibly the worst thing I have ever read.

By the time I had finished reading, the girls had popped to the co-op, I was just left thinking what if it was Gwen, Nathalie, Nicola, Sue, Harriet or Naomi writing about one of us. What if one of us didn’t come home?

The streets of Norwich have always felt safe to me, but is that a false sense of comfort?

I know for the first time, I will start to look at the Police differently. But I equally know I have had the privilege of being able to make that choice from afar. Those who are non-white, particularly the Black community, have not had this choice. Especially Black women.

The Northern Echo’s front page on Friday 1st of October shows the photos of 80 women killed since the murder of Sarah Everard. All of them, alleged victims of femicide. The title: “When will this end?”

I don’t know. I don’t think it will. I hope it will.

For Sarah, for Nicole and Bibaa, for Sabina – I’ll laugh a little bit harder with my housemates tonight, I’ll dance a little bit wilder. I’ll do all the things they can’t to honour them. I’d implore you to do the same.

05/10/2021

Freyja Elwood

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031