David Bowie – The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars – Throwback review

Just one of the stellar catalogue of records that Bowie produced in the seventies, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars stands out from the rest simply because it was Bowie’s only concept album of the decade (as glam- rock persona Ziggy Stardust) and the truest representation of what he was trying to achieve musically throughout his career.

dbac

In distancing himself from the music he was able to fuse Marc Bolan-esque glam rock with the dystopian eccentricities of A Clockwork Orange to create an absolute masterpiece of popular music.

Every track on Ziggy is a singular, encapsulating tale, yet Bowie still manages to make them flow seamlessly from one to the other. Beginning with the rock epic ‘Five Years’ and flowing through such classics as the orchestral, melancholic ‘Starman’, and the pedal-to-the-metal thrasher ‘Suffragette City’, the record evokes all emotions effortlessly.

Every song is of the highest quality imaginable and David Bowie’s soul- wrending vocals (accompanied by the exquisite guitar-work of his greatest guitar- maestro, Mick Ronson) soar to unimaginable heights atop the tallest mountain he ever traversed.

19/11/2013

alexflood

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
    1
    2
    3