On the back of their latest album, All These Countless Nights, we had the opportunity to chat to drummer Tom Ogden from British rock band Deaf Havana before their recent performance at the LCR. 

Hey Tom! What first inspired you to make music together?

We were all studying music at college so we all kind of loved it. We were all in bands and started doing covers together. Mostly Fall Out Boy and Funeral For A Friend covers.

Where do you get your material from?

Lyrically it’s from our experiences. Stories about what has happened in our past. How we are feeling that day. And musically we play what feels naturally.

What’s the most important thing you’ve learnt whilst being on tour?

We’ve definitely learnt not to take things for granted. To really appreciate people who come and pay to watch us and come to have a good time.

Most surreal moment on tour?

Once we were playing a festival in Belgium and Queens of the Stone Age were sat next to us. Josh Homme is known for being a bit angry and Wilson accidently spilt his whole bowl of soup over his leg. But lucky he wasn’t angry at all, but it was of those moments.

Who are your major influences?

I’ve always been into punk and pop punk. I loved Travis Barker growing up and Foo Fighters. It’s all kind of a mixture of those.

How has your music evolved over the years?

We’ve learnt to not pigeonhole ourselves into one genre or one sound. With the new album we let things develop more.

Do you prefer larger or smaller venues?

I like the kind of venues like the one we’re playing in Norwich, 1,000-2,000 people. It’s really cool. Not too big, not too small. When your headlining at a bigger arena the atmosphere can be a little bit strained, it’s a bit like everyone stands there and just watches you, the smaller venues tend to be more energetic.

Biggest challenge as a band? And how did you overcome it?

I think the biggest challenge was the time between this album and the last one – we kind of went through a stage where we didn’t really want to do it anymore. So we stopped and then we realised we did want to do it, but we didn’t want to do it with the people that we had working for us at the time. So we changed management and changed labels. That was definitely hard. It took the best part of two years to get everything in place. Then of course we had these songs for over a year and had over listened to them etc.

Any contemporary musicians/bands that you’re digging currently?

Black Foxes’ music is amazing and of course Dinosaur Pile-Up and Linkin Park.