Music, Venue

Deep Cuts- Fleetwood Mac – Did You Ever Love Me

Since being formed in 1967 by the late Peter Green, Fleetwood Mac has gone through several sound changes, multiple image changes & numerous line-up changes. The most famous of which is the one that spanned from 1973 to the late eighties and consisted of Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, Mick Fleetwood, and Christine & John McVie.

Shortly before Buckingham and Nicks joined the band, the album ‘Penguin’ was released which pays homage to the blues-rock sound that Peter Green strived for. Fleetwood Mac has an abundance of lesser known ‘deep cuts’, but the track ‘Did You Ever Love Me,’ which was released as a single but never charted, is my favourite.

In a rare occurrence, Christine McVie is the lead vocalist on this track – she was confined to the shadows after Nicks joined the band. Her vocals are sublime and underrated – they suit this melancholy blues track perfectly. The opening lyric – “Ooh you’re a dream” sets the tone for the rest of this song, in that listening to it feels like a dream. Accompanied by serene steel drums throughout, this track, in my opinion is a classic.

24/11/2020

Anastasia Christodoulou

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
    1
    2
    3