The MCU has been scrutinised by the media lately as Martin Scorsese has come out to say that ‘Marvel films are not cinema’ and Francis Ford Coppola has jumped into this saying that the genre is ‘despicable’. Scorsese’s remarks have angered MCU fans as he compares the films to theme parks, while some of the actors from your favourite MCU films have spoken out on the matter. Robert Downey Jr spoke out, “I appreciate his opinion because I think it’s like anything. We need all of the different perspectives so we can come to the centre and move on”. 

The MCU have produced some of the most influential and record-breaking movies of all time. Alike Endgame, which is officially the highest grossing movie of all time. This film was the finale to the end of phase 3 which some audiences are also saying it was ‘finale of a generation-spanning saga’. Many audiences felt an emotional connection during this film as they have watched the Marvel films grow since the first film in the phase, Iron Man. So, when came the death of Iron Man in Endgame this gave the audience the realisation that there will never be another Iron Man. However, with the release of Spiderman: Far From Home are we expecting Tom Holland to rise to the occasion but is that now impossible to say considering the incident with Sony and Disney? So, this shows how Scorsese’s point that the Marvel films don’t offer an emotional connection for the audience isn’t completely true. 

Disney’s CEO Bob Iger has also responded to the comments made. “I don’t get what they’re criticizing us for when we’re making films that people are obviously going to because they’re doing so by the millions”. The films made are what the audience can connect with, especially Black Panther for its tokenism and the representation of the Kenyan, Namibian, and South African cultures which is where the inspiration came from, but also shows the representation of their culture.  

Furthermore, Scorsese points out that as the audience we don’t learn anything from these films. The Marvel films have become something influential for the younger generation. Especially, young boys look at the superheroes as role models to them but also something they aspire to be like. So, would taking away these films mean that the younger generation won’t have something to fantasise about?