Deputy Editors' Column

Deputy Editors’ Column: ‘Twas the night before deadlines and all across campus…

‘Twas the issue before Christmas, and across UEA, students were slaving at their laptops, for a 2:1 on that essay.

We can almost smell the mince pies and feel the fully functional central heating of home, but with two weeks still left to go it feels like there is still a snow-topped mountain left to climb. The library is full, third years are reduced to tears by a whisper of the word ‘dissertation’ and the coffee queues have never been longer.

‘Anarchy in the UEA’ just seems like the headline to Week 11, however, despite the relevance, it introduces this week’s rather strange story involving UEA Vice Chancellor David Richardson, the Sex Pistols and a UEA bobble hat. (Page 7). The revelation that our VC is a punk rock fan, having once danced the night away to the Buzzcocks, The Clash and The Damned, and that “UEA has played a major role in punk rock history” seems an appropriately absurd end to a term that has given us the campus-wide mourning of Cloud Dog, voyeurism on campus, ‘killer clowns’ at midnight, and everything in between. It’s certainly been a busy one.

The days until the Christmas break can be counted on two hands, but if you have some spare time on your hands, Concrete’s Christmas edition can provide you with some excellent procrastination material.

On pages 16 and 17 Our comment writers take a look at charity and consumerism during the festive season, that one is definitely worth a read if you’re feeling particularly cynical.

However, if you can’t wait for the impending arrival of the sickly sweet Christmas season, stick on some Mariah Carey and have a go at making the mince pie recipe that Features have included on page 11.

And finally…

To all you students in the library, not seeing daylight, Merry Christmas to all, and just remember to cite…

06/12/2016

caitlinandjess

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
    1
    2
    3