Derby Day 2017: a record-breaking win

Another Derby Day, another victory for UEA. Maybe it’s time we found a new university to face off against?

On what was a fantastic day of success for UEA, it was great to see so many people getting involved in the square and so many supporters at all of the venues cheering on our sports teams, with over 200 fans watching the men’s football at Colney alone.

A word should also go out to some of the less recognised sports such as Ultimate Frisbee, Korfball and Softball – the latter of whom were competing in their first ever Derby Day – and all of whom brought home the points to add to a record margin of victory of 40 points.

In spite of the competitiveness shown by everyone on the pitch, it was great to see many of both universities’ sports teams back the #TakeAStand campaign by proudly donning the campaign’s signature rainbow laces, which you can read more about on page 29.

It was also clear to us that many who would not normally consider themselves sports fans threw themselves into the day. Dougie Dodds assesses Derby Day from the perspective of someone uninitiated in sports and the day itself on page 30.

The accessibility was made all the more easier due to the many volunteers for Concrete, Livewire and UEA:TV reporting, commenting and filming the day’s events. This helped the official Derby Day Twitter account reach around half a million interactions, while Concrete’s live blog was visited by upwards of 3,000 people throughout the afternoon.

Although we as editors won’t be there to see UEA extend the winning run to six in Essex next year, we hope you all continue to get involved and support UEA sport to further success throughout 2017-18.

UEA, Derby Day Champions for the fifth time in row, doesn’t that sound good? Oh, and that trophy? Exactly as heavy as it looks.

15/03/2017

richardandnick