Determining sex appeal: personality over looks

Everyone has a celebrity crush, mine (along with most other females on the planet) just so happens to be Ryan Gosling. My reasons for liking him however are pretty shallow – he’s gorgeous and has a velvety voice that wraps around you like a warm hug. But let’s face it; most crushes are based solely on a person’s physical appearance. This is something that has always caused controversy, we all know the timeless saying ‘don’t judge a book by its cover’ and the same rule should apply to people. We shouldn’t be rated solely on our appearance when we’ve got so much else going for us. Regardless of what we look like, whether we’re Victoria’s Secret models in training or not, each and every one of us has qualities that are undeniably sexy, things that we may not even recognise within ourselves. It is these things that we should admire in a crush, these things we should fancy, these things which are insanely sexy.

Scouring through lists of the world’s sexiest celebrities, it was disappointing to see the sheer volume of men and women, who are only on there because of their extraordinary physique. While I do appreciate looking at shirtless men, the overall effect is undoubtedly dampened if there’s not a stimulating personality to go along with it. So I decided to make my own list, a list of celebrities that are sexy in untraditional ways. Celebrities whose personalities speak louder than their looks, celebrities who each have something about them that make them stand out from the crowd. Crush away on this wonderful bunch.

Photo: wikimedia
Photo: wikimedia

Benedict Cumberbatch

Theres something irrefutably sexy about his sheer British-ness. Being British myself it’s very surprising that I can get so excited about this trait, yet I do. He’s got the prim and proper thing down to an art and is exceptionally humble about his wild success. Despite being named the sexiest male movie star in Hollywood two years in a row, he’s remained down to earth and even admitted that he doesn’t understand the whole thing. Speaking in an interview with E-asylum he said “I’ve had the same face for ten years and I wasn’t anywhere near the top thousandth of these lists before now, so I think in a way it’s kind of a projection to do with the work I’ve done”. He hit the nail on the head with that one didn’t he – Sherlock is very sexy.

Photo: Gage Skidmore
Photo: Gage Skidmore

Jennifer Lawrence

Jennifer’s unfailing ability to poke fun at herself is amazing; her constant crazy antics on the red carpet make us all want to be best friends with her and even her mistakes seem endearing, like that time she tripped up the stairs as she went to collect her Oscar. Despite living in a world that’s so different from our own, she’s relatable; she’s also completely unpredictable and very self-aware. She knows exactly who she is and she doesn’t take any crap from anyone about it. All of these things differentiate her from other Hollywood starlets, and they also make her incredibly sexy.

Photo: wikimedia
Photo: wikimedia

Simon Cowell

This is an odd choice, I’ll give you that, and he’s definitely not my type, but I can’t help but notice that success is sexy and if there’s one person who knows how to wear their success on their sleeve, then it’s this music mogul. He’s knowledgeable, confident and powerful, an impressive combination that just seems to work in his favour.

Photo: wikimedia
Photo: wikimedia

Lana Del Rey

OH MY GOODNESS THAT VOICE.

That voice is the focal point here, it’s deep, it’s soulful and it’s 100% sexy; end of.

Photo: Athena LeTrelle
Photo: Athena LeTrelle

Denzel Washington 

He’s Denzel Washington. I think that says it all really.

Photo: wikimedia
Photo: wikimedia

Rashida Jones

Despite holding all of the credentials to be a totally cliché Hollywood starlet, Jones is anything but. She’s a writer, an actress, a Nick Frost fangirl, and an avid women’s rights advocate. She totally understands what I’m getting at with this article and summed it up better than I ever could in a piece she wrote recently for Glamour magazine: “I also wanted to say there’s more than one way to be a woman and be sexy – like, you’re a really great dancer, or you’re really fucking smart”. Her strong will and determination are desirable traits and with a degree from Harvard in religion and philosophy it’s safe to say she’s really fucking smart and that’s really fucking sexy.

Photo: Tabercil
Photo: Tabercil

Seth Rogen

Is it just me, or is Seth Rogen everywhere at the moment? With his goofy laugh and slacker personality he may not fit in with some of your stereotypical Hollywood types, but that hasn’t stopped him from becoming a household name. We all know that a great sense of humour can be a massive turn on, and Rogen is downright hilarious. He’s also extremely likeable; his down to earth nature draws people in and makes them want to watch his films, even the not so great ones (The Green Hornet anyone?) For me that speaks volumes.

Photo: Gage Skidmore
Photo: Gage Skidmore

Helen Mirren

Dame Helen Mirren is the epitome of class: subtle, elegant and inspiring. She has reached a level of sophistication that many will only ever be able to dream of and if that’s not sexy, then I’m not really sure what is.

Photo: Eva Rinaldi
Photo: Eva Rinaldi

Ed Sheeran

Ed Sheeran is an enchanting human being. When it comes to music, his talent is seemingly endless. He can play guitar (which in itself is a sexy skill), write heartbreakingly beautiful song lyrics and has the voice of an angel. His lack of self-confidence is extremely endearing and somehow he manages to make normality seem cool. If you need further proof of this guy’s sexiness simply watch the Thinking Out Loud music video – it’s Ed Sheeran meets Strictly Come Dancing and it’s magical.

Photo: wikimedia
Photo: wikimedia

Tina Fey

Tina Fey is unbelievably awesome; she’s the kind of woman that just has everything going for her. She’s smart, funny and successful, traits which as we’ve seen before on this list, make for a very sexy person. Like Jennifer Lawrence she can’t help but make fun of herself and her constant stream of witty comments draws people in and keeps them coming back for more. She also created Mean Girls, and anyone that can come up with something so fetch is automatically sexy in my book.

11/11/2014

courtneypochin As a Film and English Studies student and an aspiring writer, you can be sure to find Courtney reading her beloved copy of Pride and Prejudice, or watching a movie (especially if it's got Ryan Gosling in it). She loves figure skating with the wonderful members of Avs, drinking tea and is obsessed with all things American.

December 2021
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031