Albums of 2013 – #10 – Disclosure – Settle

Ever felt compelled to scrawl a squiggly white line over a picture of your face? Probably not, that is until Disclosure’s debut album Settle took 2013 by storm. The young British duo, Guy Lawrence and his younger brother Howard (awww, sibling solidarity) have gone from humble beginnings to being one of the biggest influences in Britain’s unstoppable House music obsession. And it’s all down to a 14-track pearler of a record.

disclosure

Settle, released in June 2013 and nominated for the 2014 Grammy’s ‘Best Dance Album’, creatively combines 1am floor fillers, chart-ready successes and soulful vocals from a selection of pop music’s finest. But luck is a factor the size of a dust particle in the success of the album; instead, what Settle possesses is the input of a track listing master plan.

In just over 60 minutes the boys demonstrate an ability to seamlessly roll from the minimalistic vibes delivered in ‘Fire Starts to Burn’ straight onto an MTV lottery winner like ‘Latch’, and that’s only the beginning of this genius design. Pop-bopper ‘Voices’ featuring Sasha Keable, a showcase of pop-garage revival (…anyone remember Misteeq?) is cleverly placed in the lead up to ‘Stimulation’, subtly reeling in the daytime radio heads and injecting them with a huge dose of ravey wholesomeness.

So a round of applause is in order for Disclosure’s success, most notably in the creation of a blueprint for the unity between underground dance music fans, now compilation listeners, MTV watchers and nostalgic ex-raving dads. And, of course, thumbs up to Guy and Howard for maintaining diversity and a true House music vibe in the face of the mainstream populous. An album that serves to please a pop culture as well as a rave culture, aren’t we all glad that’s now been settled?

14/01/2014

oliviagrosvenor

1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031